Monday, November 30, 2009

Well, I am officially here and have so many things I wish I could share with you. The flights all went well and they weren't bad at all flying for two days actually. It was kind of nice. I didn't pass out as many pass along cards as I wanted to, but I was able to give out a Book of Mormon to a really awesome guy who goes to the Philippines to buy mangoes for a store his friend owns. just for mangos! They are really really really good though! Their fruit here is unlike any fruit I have ever had. It is all half the size though..or a lot of it is, of fruit in the U.S. My companion is a native Philippino, Sister Sabasan, from Manila. So Brother Leslie, your predictions were wrong. Sister Sabasan is a really nice, but I feel like I depend on her more than I should. I am trying to get over that and to work as hard as I can. I met sister Grant! Brother Leslie she says to tell you hello! She is a little fireball of energy! haha! She is hilarious! She thought it was way funny that we knew everything about her already from being here.
So the work is so busy and incredibly overwhelming. I have never felt so inadequate in my entire life. The people here are so nice and they are all really willing to talk to me, but here is the problem...I DON"T UNDERSTAND A SINGLE THING THEY SAY!!!! Our area of Ilanngo speaking only and just today did I get a book so I could see some vocabulary to work with. I try to teach in Tagalog and they stop me and say, "just teach in English, it is hard to understand you." Which of course makes me want to start bawling because I think..."But that's not my call! You have to hear this in your native tongue!" But instead, I do a mix of Tanglish and use scriptures for them to read. We have two wards in our area and it is really really busy. I spoke in both wards on Sunday. One ward the bishop is older and has been a member for awhile, he just had me bear my testimony and introduce myself (which I did in Ilanggo...with the help of my 3x5note card). The other ward, the bishop comes up to us when church is starting and says, "It's the 5th Sunday, every 5th Sunday the missionaries speak!" So Sister Sabasan an I gave talks. She also talked to him how he should be assigning talks ahead of time. It was crazy! Their talks are all in English, so my talk was in English, about faith leading us to do missionary work, but then I did my testimony in Ilanggo to finish it up.
SO I know you want to know about the area, so here ya go...I'll paint a picture for you. It's like Brother Leslie said, its like we are living in a national geographic. I haven't sweat like this in my entire life. I am on fire all the time, which of course makes me feel disgusting, but it is ok. The majority of people are living in bamboo shacks in the middle of the jungle with bamboo floors that you can see through. Sometimes I wonder if the floors are built to hold up the weight of a "curvy" American girl. haha! But they always do. Their are pigs and animals everywhere, and the places don't smell pleasant. But the People!!! OH the people!!!!! They are the kindest and nicest and most genuinely sweet people I have ever met! They just want to befriend everyone and will talk to you. They will give their names and addresses to complete strangers.. (but addresses here are like the areas of the city where you live, not an exact address.). It is remarkable. Today Sister Sabasan and I came into Bacolod City, it's about an hour from our apartment in Bago City, to meet up with some people in our district and zone for lunch at KFC...which is nothing like American KFC by the way. And I was able to see my district members Sister Adams and Elder Foulds!!! I was so happy! I have been really discouraged this whole week. I know I have only been out for like 4 days, but at the same time... I feel like I will never get this language down! I have been really trying to study hard and I feel like everything I thought I knew has been forgotten and ripped apart. But talking to them today I realized that They are all experiencing the same things. Satan in working hard on me...I have had many a night crying, alone in the CR (comfort room or bathroom). But I just keep telling myself.. suck it up princess! you have a love for these people already...now work your hardest and the Lord will bless you. The first night I started to think, just go home. Everyone will understand, you're never going to get this and it is really hard here. You had no idea what you were getting yourself into. But then I snapped into it and thought...Ashley, that is the dumbest thing you have ever thought! Forget yourself and get to work...don't let Satan put those ridiculous thoughts into your mind. Teach these people! And so...I am here trying to do just that. I have no idea what is being said in the lessons, but I do add my testimony to the lessons and I teach as much as I can. Pray hard for me...please. I know you all are, but keep my name in the temple. I feel so lost sometimes, but I know it is possible. If God can create an entire earth and raise people from the dead and perform these mighty miracles, surely He will help a little pathetic girl from Arizona learn a language so she can teach His children who are in dire need of hearing the message. I love you all so much and I can't wait to get some mail from you..hint hint. Paul and Holly, congrats on Kyler's birth!!! He is as precious as he can be. I'm so glad everything went well for you. A couple random facts, there isn't toilet paper here. Yeah...that's fun. Th showers aren't bad at all! We should all shower like this..we would save tons on water! Surprisingly, the heat doesn't keep me from sleeping because I'm so exhausted at the end of the day. Life is so good! I love you! The church is true! Pray pray pray and share the gospel all you can! It's so easy to do it in America!! In your native tongue! Open your mouths!
Sister Sweating like it' going out of style Stadler :)

No comments:

Post a Comment