Sunday, September 12, 2010

Well, this week was remarkably successful. The mission tour went well. We had Elder Ko come and visit our mission. He and his wife are from Korea. His main focus was with working with members and being serious in our teachings, not sugar coating repentance and the Atonement. It was really good. He said a line that really helped me put things into perspective. I raised my hand and asked him during the training, "I've been studying a lot about covenants in my personal study and I came across a scripture Sister Dalton shared in her Conference talk. It said, "Cleave to your covenants". We're suppose to be teaching our investigators to cleave to their covenants, but how can we do that effectively when even the leaders in the church seem to not be cleaving, or even appreciating theirs?" He smiled a little bit and then said, "This is the concern we have within the entire Philippines." Then he went on to say our duty as missionaries is to teach our converts how to cleave to their covenants, so they, in turn, will become leaders and teach those who have not been taught properly. They said there was a point where missionaries in the 80's were pretty much baptizing anyone who would come to church twice. So we have a huge amount of people who are innactive or who aren't really educated when it comes to spiritual things. He then said, and this is what hit me.."To you young missionaries, missionary work is your world! It's everything! You must remember that these Bishops in your ward, these ward members and auxilary leaders they all have additional responsibilities. They have work, and family and they are busy! You are not their top priority. You need to become their friends. Show them you truly understand and care and that you want to help them, not add to their burdens." That hit me! so we've been trying to become their friends and to help the ward.
We just had a half day mission that went beautifully! They showed up an hour late, but THEY SHOWED UP!!! HALLELUJAH! :) We ended up seeing 4 inactive famlies and 2 of the families went to church this week. One of the moms even stood to bear her testimony. She said, "I had my doubts, but when I saw the saints who came to visit me, and then when I walked into church and Bishop immediately greeted me, I realized I was loved. You do truly care about my family." AH! I started crying!! The members were so happy to see them come to church, to see immediate fruits from their labors. This Friday they all volunteered their time again. We also found 2 new investigators in part member families from their efforts! I'm just happy.
I talked to President Tobias about staying one more transfer and it seemed hopeful. haha. Transfer day is on the 17th of this month. He said most people who were just transferred will be staying 4 1/2 to 6 months in their area...so if I stay here one more transfer it will for sure be 6 months here! Man....i'm holding out for it. But of course, I'll go where He wants me to go..meaning Heavenly Father of course.
I still adore my companion. Sister Polido is a machine! She's up for everything and is so humble and willing to learn.
Emayln and Recarido are suppose to come back tonight from their trip to Bacolod. We'll see how things are looking this week. We found out the marriage liscense is way more expensive that we thought it was. Emalyn broke down I guess on the phone talking to Annalyn and said, "I just want to be baptized! I know I have to be married first and we don't have any money to get married." These are moments I wish I could just pull out my wallet and sponsor the wedding, but...that doesn't build faith...nor trust in the Lord. SO....we're gonna see what the Lord's plan is. If there is a will, there is a way! 1 nephi 3:7...Good old Nephi!
As for Sister Ball, She's doing ok. She's had one scenario this week...nope..thats not the right english word...one...episode??WOOHOO! Yes. She has had one 'episode' this week with her health, but it wasn't anything to terrible, just not too fun. As for me, I'm doing pretty good. I'm gaining back some weight. Yeah...thats not good. Not a ton, just a couple pounds, so I'm working on knocking those back off while I can. haha.
I'm glad to hear everyone is doing so well. I got a letter from Miss Sarah Calder!!! I about fell off my chair when I saw it. ha! It was sooooo good to hear from her. I will definitely be contacting her when I get home.
Life is so good. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this gospel. I see it change people's lives daily. I always amazed the individuals that just have the hardest outer shell, they doubt and the looks on their faces when we tell the story of Joseph Smith is always interesting..but if people would just humble themselves enough to pray about it. Try it! How could you not? Test it out, read and study the Book of Mormon and pray, If you'll just try it I know, not..I think maybe..or...quite possibly...nope, I KNOW that you will receive an answer to your prayers and it will be answer that you will never be able to deny. I, myself, have prayed and have had my prayers answered by God through the Holy Ghost. I know that Jesus is the Christ, that He lives. He will come again, and the day is not far distant. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that a man can truly "get nearer to God by abiding by it's precepts than by any other book." I know that Joseph Smith is a remarkably stalwart and powerful man who was a prophet of God and that through him Heavenly Father restored His gospel here on the earth. How grateful I am that we have a living prophet today, Thomas S. Monson, who is aware of our modern day concerns and trials and who speaks with God about how we can target our modern day enemies, or sins, and face them head on, so they will not become a threat to us. I love this gospel! I love the work.
I love all of you! I continue to pray for each of you. Sorry that I haven't written any of you back. I'm WAY behind in letter writing...but just be patient with me. You'll get a letter sometime here. haha! Until next week, GOD SPEED!

All my love,
Sister Stadler

No comments:

Post a Comment