Sunday, June 20, 2010

Family! ok, well the email was having a hard time here yesterday, we lost all connection, so we decided to just come today instead and email. this week has been full of all types of surprises and happiness and wonderful experiences. First of all, Amanda and Aunt Vikki, I got your packages on Tuesday of last week! Hence the super happy picture of me! best mail day ever, two huge packages and two letters! haha! Amanda, you should have seen the elder's faces when I pulled out the beef jerky. Genius for you to send little packages...I only pulled out one at the district meeting...they all got the deer in the headlight looks... and just stared at it..so of course I shared. haha. Aunt Vikki! Thanks so much for everything you sent! There were no probiotics in the box, and you told me to let you know if there weren't any. The power bars you sent were to die for and the wheyprotien is perfect for me in the morning. I'm not a breakfast person, but I've noticed a difference when I drink it in the morning. So thanks a ton! Ok, moving on, (mom, a batchmate is a person who you came into the mission field at the same time with. Is that proper English? I just read that 3 times...whatever..I'm moving on. they call them batchmates here in the Philippines for some reason.) The Cebu temple dedication was beautiful. President Monson was on his game. haha! He was so funny during the sealing of the corner stone. He was cracking jokes and then he walked past the piano right before they went back inside and turned back around, walked to the piano and asked if he could play a little something. then...I'm expecting a little hymn or something and he says, "I don't usually perform. but this is a special occasion." then he started to play a little ragtime piece! hahahaha! I was laughing so hard! So was Elder Oaks in the background and sweet little Elder Eyring was just grinning like he always does from ear to ear. It was hilarious. During the prayer he mentioned two phrases that made an impression on me. He said we must continue to move forward, continual progression. Then he said, "I pray that we may have the spirituality we need to accomplish our Father's purposes here on the earth." It was beautiful. President Oaks spoke about how the Philippines couldn't qualify for another temple in the past because there weren't enough members paying their tithing, and if you're not paying your tithing, you can't have a recommend and the Lord doesn't allow temples to be build so stand empty. He was so excited to be there and to see the progression of the saints. He said that 6 years ago when they were over the area there were 960 missionaries from the Philippines that were currently serving full time missions, but now there were over 1650! That's huge!!! In 6 years! That's a huge increase! He said it's just a measure of the growth of the saints in their dedication to the gospel. The dedication was amazing. It was silent in the room. The spirit was so strong. Just as strong as if I was in the temple, and it was a true answer to prayer.
So tomorrow we have our Zone Conference. It's special because instead of just our Zone and another zone meeting we are having all the zones on Negros Occidental area meet in one chapel since its our last Zone Conference before the mission splits. President loves music and loves good choirs, so he asked if Elder Potter would arrange for a choir to sing. Well, Elder Potter asked me to conduct the choir or play the piano, I could choose. I love playing the piano..but man I jumped at the chance to lead a choir. President said 16 missionaries at the least in the choir. We have about 45 missionaries that are singing and I was nervous. Usually when we try to sing a piece it's ok...but it's like when you sing with the youth in church... it's good, but they just don't have the power as..well...motab! haha...or...a BYU choir...or just a solid and talented ward choir! We only had 3 practices too and they only last 1 hour each. We don't have any arrangements here, its all just the hymnbook..but I wanted something special. Elder Potter wanted us to sing "If You could high to Kolob". Which...at first I wasn't wild about because if you can't sing harmony...it just is kinda bland..and the harmony isn't easy. BUT MY GOODNESS!!!! The blessings of the Lord are remarkable. Yesterday was our last practice and at the beginning of the practice, it was still just words they were singing, there was no feeling, so I did some exercises with them, and I'm sure they all think I'm insane now as I pulled out the rag doll and the hula hoop and the egg in the mouth and the "hold in the orange at your navel" analogies...but it worked. It was up to the last time we were going to run through it, it was getting late..people were getting restless and we still had to travel to our areas, and I thought, they can do this, I immediately remembered the stake conference where Patti Raines had us fast and pray that the angels would sing with us in the choir, that is an experience I will never forget. So I said a little silent prayer in my heart and said, "Alright, lets do this one more time. Remember what the words are saying. This is Kolob we're singing about." I expounded more about it and bore a little testimony and then we started to sing it. We have an all elders octet that sings the first first..it's beautiful..then the choir comes in on the 2nd verse and 3rd verse it's all unity just strong and powerful. Well they started singing, and by the 3rd verse I had chills and I could feel their testimonies through their words, I started to tear up. At the end of the song everyone was absolutely silent, the spirit was strong, I thanked them and we ended the practice. People just lingered there for awhile talking. Usually everyone takes off quickly. Then Elder Potter brought in another music piece, "This is the Christ" and he wanted him and I to sing it as a duet, so we practiced it. He has a beautiful voice and our voices blend perfectly. So people were just sitting and listening to us practice. After I had quite a few missionaries come and ask me if I felt something during the last time we sang it. Then they said, "the spirit was so strong. I almost cried." AH! I love music! I just hope and pray we can have that same power tomorrow as we sing it for conference. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. Directing the choir is like pure joy to me!!!!!! Good grief it's a blast!
Ok, as for other news, pray for Analyn, Emilyn, Rocky, and Dindin because their father doesn't want them to continue in the lessons. They all want to be baptized though. They are all adults, but they of course want the approval of their parents. They said, "sisters, its been really hard. he argues every time you leave, but we know its true. and we want to continue." So just keep them in your prayers.
Oh...Flores and I were reunited for a 24 hour companion exchange so she could teach me the discussions in sign language. Good grief..I was exhausted by the end of the day. Rowena wants the come to church though. She is way excited! I'm excited to see how that goes. She is so sweet and I love signing to her!
As for transfers, I'm not sure. President said "Sister Stadler, you'll be a senior this transfer" and I said, "senior only?" And he said, "Well, it would be really fast if we had you train." So I was relieved! THEN....the Zone leaders keep saying that Elder Potter keeps asking them if they think I'm ready to train and he's asked him about 5 times. So...haha...time will tell. We find out next Monday. We now have our district meeting on Pday which everyone is moaning about..but I think its a good idea. We waste a lot of time if its on other days. Ok, well, I love you all to death. This is eternally long and I need to take off. You're on my mind constantly. you're wonderful, the gospel is so true! just live it! Live it the best you can and you WILL BE HAPPY! It's a miracle...when we follow the principles we are happier than ever...even if we have a plethora of trials! (yes..I had to spell check plethora..hahaha). Stay strong, do what you know is right. Don't make excuses for yourself. I love you all, until next week, God Speed!!!

All my Love,
Sister Stadler

No comments:

Post a Comment